Patrick Ryan Turner, EdD
c/o 6164 Wertz Street ·
Davisburg, Michigan 48350 · cell: 248-625-4321 ·
VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER
Seasoned, creative, and results driven technology leader with 20 years of proven CTO/CIO experience.
Innovative change agent and problem solver with a passion for technology; skilled at grasping the
big picture; conceptualizing, developing, implementing solutions; and partnering
closely with business leaders. Excels at developing and motivating highly focused teams successfully meeting and exceeding enterprise objectives.
- Doctorate in Education from Ferris State University in Community College Leadership - May 2021 - Suma Cume Laude - Cum. GPA 4.0/4.0
- A $7M+ 2015 complete IT overhaul for Schoolcraft College & a $6M+ refresh in 2020
- Total enterprise virtualization of IT using VMware for Schoolcraft College
- Innovated new technology products for higher ed with industry partners
- Led tier 3 commercial co-location data center design for Schoolcraft College
- Designed, developed, and taught both a Data Center Design and a Data Center Operations class at Schoolcraft College
- Led a three-year next-generation-classroom project for Schoolcraft College
- Planned and deployed a state-of-the-art Enterprise Security Portfolio
- Click to see list of Professional Publications and Presentations,
- Coordinated a 4000 sqft./190 rack data room expansion at Liberty Center
- Managed successful SSAE16 SOC 2 and SAS70 type 2 audit for Liberty Center
- Principal SME for a CMMI level 3 certification for Web Elite, LLC
- VP of Product Development and Board Member during IPO of Mechanical Dynamics, Inc.
- Awarded a US Patent while at Schlumberger CAD/CAM
- Highly effective budget and cost control
- Published in journals and magazines
- Managed major software projects for each Automotive Big Three
- Drive efficiency through process design and automation
- Quick assessment and problem solver
ACCELERED, LLC - VICE PRESIDENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND SECURITY OPERATIONS
Bethesda, Maryland - Nobember 2021 - Current
- Lead all facets of IT infrastructure and security operations for AccelerEd (a division of UMGC Ventures) whose main client is University Of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) one of the largest online universities in the United States supporting over 90,000 students.
- Participate on Executive Staff reporting to the CEO assisting in strategic planning, organizational and operational structure, and enterprise vision casting.
- Manage Security Operations including strategy and day-to-day application of a complete portfolio of cybersecurity tools from virus protection to SIEM and advance threat detection tools.
- Manage Cybersecurity Governance Risk and Compliance as well as development of a new framework agnostic governance program with a focus on CMMC and NIST SP800-171.
- Manage Server Engineering and Networking for UMGC's Global Azure/AWS Cloud presence (85%+ of all workloads) as well as two domestic Data Centers (remaining ~15%).
- Manage Desktop Engineering and Support for the Global Enterprise.
- Manage Global Help Desk via Stefanini® for Tier 1 and local staff for Tier 2 and 3 support
- Manage global remote office IT infrastructure and support for US, Europe, and Asia.
DEDUCTIVE DATA - OWNER and PRICIPLE CONSULTANT (SINCE 2000)
Davisburg, Michigan - September 2020 - Current
Client: University of Maryland Global Campus, via Higher Digital and UMUC Ventures - April 2021 to Current
Client: Macomb Community College - September 2020 to Current
- Position: Acting CIO, AccelerEd (a division of UMUC Ventures) reporting to CEO.
- enterprise Security Framework consulting for implementation of CMMC (Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification, a new DoD mandate) requirement.
- Review of Oracle PeopleSoft® and Anthology® Student Informatin System architecture to help define direction forward.
- Global Telephony Strategy and migration from Cisco UCCE™ to Five9™ Contact Center Software Systems - Rationalize 63 business user groups and user experience assurance.
- Restructuring global support system via ServiceNow® - satisfy diverse user groups.
- Guidance and consolidation of FY22 IT budget proposals and roll up.
- Oversite and guidance of the IT support organization (AccelerEd).
- Position: Virtual CISO and Security Project Managemetn
- Successful PCI compliance remediation in Michigan involving process redesign, systems upgrades, PCI Self-Assessment Questionnaire use clarification, and remediation project definition.
- Stakeholder review, analysis, prioritization and project definition for IT system penetration testing findings remediation.
- Led point-of-sale system upgrade design, HW specification, quoting, logistics coordination, vendor management and future implementation project management.
- Led investigation on Privileged Access Management technology, manufactures, coordinating top (Gartner Magic Quadrant) manufacture demonstrations, principal author of full requirements specification and RFP documents including a requirements traceability matrix for future project implementation acceptance criteria.
- Led Cyber Security incident response investigation and remediation planning.
- Review 3rd party incident response remediation findings report, making recommendations and prioritization for a cyber security remediation project.
SCHOOLCRAFT COLLEGE - VICE PRESIDENT and CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER
Livonia, Michigan - June 2014 - August 2020
- Full technical oversight of all Information Technology Systems and Staff for the college.
- Provide technical vision/strategy to keep college information systems current, highly available, and meeting expectations of our primary client; students.
- In 2014, audited enterprise IT systems where $10M of upgrade approvals and a complete overhaul of all IT systems resulted including compute, storage, network, carrier services, phone systems, and substantially expanded monitoring and cyber security systems.
- The overhaul also included a total enterprise virtualization of IT using VMware for server virtualization as well as initiated a conversion of 2500 PCs to Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
- In 2020, replaced entire enterprise Wi-Fi system, more than tripling the number of APs, using latest 802.11ax protocol (Wi-Fi 6), adding four new buildings and Wi-Fi to parking lots aiding pandemic response.
- Pivoted to online course delivery over days, responding to the 2020 pandemic. Moving over 1100 traditional class sections to online.
- In 2019 planned a 5-year Schoolcraft IT infrastructure refresh including a move from blade server compute and SAN storage to hyper-converged vSAN with 100% GPU support for virtual desktops. Leading to improved performance, reliability, and robustness, as well as remote availability, support for demanding video performance, and further improved cyber security.
SCHOOLCRAFT COLLEGE - EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA CENTER OPERATIONS
Livonia, Michigan - January 2014 - June 2014
- Led conceptualization and design of 150 rack commercial co-location data center for the college.
- The design included the use of a CHP (Continuous Heat and Power) generator to power the data center.
- The generator was to be fueled by waste natural gas emanating from a college owned oil well.
- The design and preliminary budgeting was complete and was ready to let out to bid.
- The data center was not built due to financial constraints
- College Data Center virtualization consolidated 16 racks to 4 racks. The remaining 12 racks were converted to a mini tier 3 co-location data center now housing four customers and soon to be more.
- Designed, developed, and taught a Data Center Design course.
- Designed, developed, and taught a Data Center Operations course.
LIBERTY CENTER ONE, LLC. - CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER and CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER
Pleasant Ridge, Michigan - Janurary 2008 - January 2014
- Liberty Center One, , LLC is a 20,000 sq. ft. high density and high availability Commercial Colocation Hosting Facility which had 100% uptime during my entire tenure, from April of 2008 to December 2014. The facility can be unofficially characterized as an Uptime Institute Tier Three facility with nearly 1000 clients.
- Contributed to all major pre/post-sales activities and gave 100s of tours to prospective clients.
- Led the design, documentation, and implementation of controls/processes, and then was the principal Plante Moran Audit Team contact, leading a successful 2010 SAS70 Type II Audit. Uniquely, not requiring a Type I Audit and concluded the Type II audit with no exceptions!
- Technical leadership of all operations including the physical and logical services provided at the facility.
- Evaluated technical requirements for all major prospective clients, recommended solutions and guided implementation for major facility deployments.
- Partnered with Telecom Carriers providing facility networking infrastructure, specify and implement client private pt2pt, MPLS, etc. circuits.
- Led implementation, support, and maintenance of all major infrastructure systems including:
Occasionally led system selection, design, and implementation, particularly for monitoring.
Liberty Center hosts major applications for GM, Ford, Chrysler, and several other Fortune 500 Companies.
Provided high level technical leadership of
Hard Drive Hotel,
and Able Team.
- DTE primary power distribution through a private GE 2.5MW transformer
- Backup power system by two 750KW Kohler diesel generators and Kohler paralleling switch gear
- Uninterruptable Power Supply system by a 750KW MGE and a redundant 625KW Liebert UPS
- Monitoring of over 100 channels of data via a digital data acquisition system for every major mechanical device or system. Designed to provide remote web-based viewing, email alerts, SMS pager alerts, and automated phone dialing alerts.
- Dual Russelectric 2000 Amp Automatic Transfer Switches.
- Networking Services provided by a Cisco infrastructure including four Cisco 6500 enterprise class routers. Monitored using an extensive
implementation of Cacti, Zabbix, and Nagios SNMP style monitoring.
- Cooling systems including eleven 30 ton Liebert System III CRACs (Computer Room Air Conditioners) supported by a web-based temperature
monitoring and alert system.
- Security Systems including Prox card readers and biometric door access system backed-up by a system of CCTV cameras connected to motion activated DVR system. 24/7/365 remote alarm monitoring.
- Fire Suppression provided by FM200 inert gas system (avoiding water-based systems possibly leading to IT equipment damage).
- 24/7/365 Monitored fire alarm system.
WEB ELITE, LLC - CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER and CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICER
Pleasant Ridge, Michigan - April 2002 - December 2007
- Web Elite
markets Web-enabled enterprise business systems and provided technical leadership for all Programs, Projects, and Product Development. Provided technical vision & high level tactical direction, for all business and technical processes.
- Provided leadership of all technical staff.
- SME Lead for implementing process improvements and attaining a CMMI Level 3 rating for Web Elite. (CMMI is Carnegie Mellon University's "Capability Maturity Model Integration" process improvement model) then required by General Motors and aligned with GM's SDP-21 process.
- Led the effort to gain a Ford Tier 1 vendor number for Web Elite.
- Provided design and technical guidance conceiving and winning a Point-Of-Sale Video Marketing System Program planned installed at North American Daimler Chrysler Dealership Service Centers.
- Served as principal force, turning around a non-profitable relationship with General Motors leading to follow-on business with GM and led to restructuring of Web Elite and General Motors organizations.
- Initial assignment was to design from process-flow-diagrams and implement 20+ Web-based business applications for ZevXchange, LLC; a multi-million-dollar electric car business; saving General Motors, Inc. tens of millions of dollars.
- Conceived a product and led development of a Web-Based-Training system and series of courses creating new business success with Ford's Corporate Quality Development Center.
- Provided leadership designing and implementing a digital video production studio supporting Web Elite's eLearning course content creation projects.
- Principal leading turn around of several trouble accounts including Carhartt Clothing, GM SPO (Supplier Parts Operations), and Accident Fund.
- Ensured solutions were differentiated through intuitive and efficient business process analysis and mapping. Providing technical solution aligned with business client vision.
- Oversaw replacement of legacy information systems, using both off-the-shelf solutions, or completely custom systems for Web Elite Clients as needed.
- Oversaw all technical resource allocation, billability, hiring and termination.
AAWUA, LLC - INDEPENDENT MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT, MANAGER, and MANAGING DIRECTOR
Clarkston, Michigan - 1998 - 2003
Opened a consulting practice, creating various entities and businesses. Providing:
- Software development consulting for Pulte Home Sciences and Torvec, Inc.
- Beta Testing and developed user documentation for SIMMs™, a high security encrypted internet chat and e-mail system.
- Financial systems research (i.e., Created sections of http://www.new-shore.com, a financial education site
on investing due diligence).
- Mechanical systems simulation engineering expert witness consulting (Torvec, Inc.).
- Marketing and sales of legal services (Pre-Paid Legal, Inc., Attained Director level after 3 months).
- Personal investment portfolio management, real estate speculation, and marketing financial educational material.
MECHANICAL DYNAMICS, INC. - VP, PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT from 93 on, & prior DIRECTOR, INTERFACE PRODUCTS
Ann Arbor, Michigan August 1989 - December 1997
- Helped promote Mechanical Dynamic Inc.'s (MDI) worldwide virtual prototyping software leadership. Helped guide MDI to a CAGR of 30-40%.
- Managed a multi-million-dollar budget.
- Led a company-wide team implementing a complete restructuring of 15 core software products (some FORTRAN written from 1977).
- Cultivated / maintained effective customer, distributor, and third-party relationships.
- Part of a management leadership team who positioned MDI for an IPO.
As Director I:
- Turned around a failing graphical post-processing package; ADAMS/Post and delivered on time and on budget.
- Introduced the use of graphical modeling for MDI's Mechanical System Simulation software via design and creation of ADAMS/View pre/post processing system.
- Led a team who introduced Parametric Modeling and a programmable user interface to the main simulation product ADAMS (Advanced Dynamic Analysis of Mechanical Systems).
- Responsible for adding optimization methods and DOE (Design Of Experiments) methods into the modeling and simulation control environments.
- Assisted marketing with collateral development, demonstration systems, and technical presentations.
SCHLUMBERGER TECHNOLOGIES CAD/CAM - ENGINEERING MANAGER
Ann Arbor, Michigan March 1986 - August 1989
- Provided technical leadership for a collection of MCAE software including: FE Modeling, FE Analysis, ADAMS Interface, Linkage Synthesis, FE Shape Optimization, Piping Schematic Design, and NC Machining CAD Geometry Tagging.
- Awarded a US patent, with others, for new Linkage Synthesis work.
- Managed long- and short-range development plans, product specifications, documentation, release process, customer and field support, resource planning and scheduling.
- Provided marketing with business plans, collateral development, sales training and guidance, field training, technical presentations, etc.
- Developed and delivered many technical MCAE presentations across the US and Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Italy, France, Japan, Korea, etc.
CHEVROLET - PONTIAC - CANADA GROUP - SENIOR PROJECT ENGINEER - 2.5L ENGINE DEVELOPMENT GROUP
Pontiac, Michigan January 1985 - March 1986
- Implemented use of dynamic simulation for 1987 2.5L valve train development.
- Implemented Fourier cam design techniques.
- Managed FEM (Nastran) optimization of valve train components.
- Oversaw funding and coordination of UC Berkley university valve train dynamic behavior research.
- Managed dynamic experimental analysis of valve trains.
- Coordinated "Variable Valve Train" research at Ricardo Engineering, England.
PONTIAC MOTOR DIVISION OF GENERAL MOTORS - PROJECT ENGINEER
Pontiac, Michigan June 1981 - January 1985
Engineering Analysis (sixteen months):
Performed acoustic, vibration, and modal analysis of vehicle structures primarily to improve vehicle interior noise.
These analytical and experimental analyses involved intensive use of instrumentation and computers.
Structural Analysis (eleven months):
Classical and finite-element-method analysis of automotive systems (including body, engine, and suspension components) to provide design direction.
GM Fellow at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (eighteen months)
Acquired a MSME degree and performed vehicle dynamics research.
Ferris State University -
Degree: Doctorate in Community College Leadership (May 2021)
Dissertation: Technology Improved Campus Safety: Wireless Network-based Campus Police Incident Response, Person of Interest and Witness Identification, Potential Victim Protection, and Contact Tracing.
Honors and Awards: - Suma Cume Laude - GPA 4.0/4.0
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -
Degree: Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (1985)
Thesis: Quasi-Static Analysis of Four-Wheeled Vehicle During Combined Maneuvers
Honors and Awards: General Motors Fellowship
Technological University -
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (1981)
Honors: Graduation with High Honor Distinction, President of Tau Beta Pi -
Beta Chapter, Phi Kappa Phi and Pi Tau Sigma
Awards: Forging Industry Educational and Research Foundation Scholarship, Marathon Electric Manufacturing Scholarship,
Tech Student Fund Scholarship.